Full time, Stockholm Sweden
About the role
Volta Greentech is a rapidly growing biotech company that produces seaweed-based animal feed with anti-methanogenic properties. Founded in 2018, we are located in Sweden, with a lab in Stockholm and a land-based seaweed cultivation facility in Lysekil. Our mission is to fight climate change by curbing the massive methane emission by cattle by adding seaweed to their feed. We are now well on our way to become the largest producer of anti-methanogenic macroalgae in the world.
Volta Greentech has an immediate opening for a researcher position to contribute to our R&D team. Land-based macroalgae cultivation permits control during growth conditions, which will generate better product yield and quality when manipulated correctly. This strategy will help us achieve our goal alongside strain development for increased biomass and product biosynthesis.
What we expect from the successful candidate:
- Willingness to work in a dynamic start-up environment, being part of a fast-growing company
- Maintain and cultivate seaweeds: sample new strains, generate unialgal cultures, maintain and select these in both laboratory and production environments. Manipulate their Life cycle and generate gametophytes and tetrasporophytes
- Design and execute laboratory and hatchery/factory-scale experiments targeted towards productivity improvements on both growth rates and secondary metabolite accumulation
- Conduct advanced continuous physiological state- and nutrient uptake monitoring
- Provide input towards improving the 'cultivation recipe, which we will use in the large-scale production
- Write reports on research activities, literature findings, and statistical analysis, and present them in various settings
- Flexibility towards the relocation and working at two different sites in Sweden
- Contribution to the development of the production blueprint.
- Relevant education and work experience.
- Relevant Ph.D. or master’s degree and three or more years of research and/or industry experience working with macroalgal cultures. Or relevant bachelor’s degree and five or more years of research and/or industry experience working with macroalgal cultures
- Extensive background knowledge and experience in phycology; in particular in the physiology and photophysiology of algae
- Know-how and experience in designing experiments, data analysis, background knowledge of relevant literature
- Managerial and organizational skills: direction - tasking of technical staff, good team- working spirit
- Good communication and media skills, ability to communicate at ease in English, constructively and convincingly in small and large group settings.
- Computer skills in Office Suite, Statistical Analysis Tools
- A Ph.D. in algal physiology, ideally on red seaweeds, and on exploring their life cycles. Experience with working with land-based macroalgae cultivation systems and manipulating seaweed growing conditions, preferably also outside of academia
- Extensive knowledge in marine biology and a strong record in relevant areas
- Working knowledge of the metabolomics of photosynthetic organisms, ideally of halogenated analog metabolite secretion. An experimental record of primary carbon and nitrogen assimilation biochemical and metabolic pathways, ideally including the expression of metabolically active genes to modulate intracellular physiology
- A successful track record of closing or manipulating the life cycle of red macroalgae and/or genetic engineering, vector design, and genetic tractability of a range of different organisms
- The selected candidate will be appointed for a six-month probation period and be offered a long-term position if concluded with satisfaction
Benefits include a stock option plan, medical insurance, PTO and sick leave; paid holidays. Employees may be eligible for but are not guaranteed performance-, merit-, and achievement-based awards that include a monetary component. The candidate may be eligible for relocation expense reimbursement. The candidate may benefit from access and exchange programs at Marine Biology Research centers and macroalgae growing companies.
Applicants must submit their application at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include a cover letter and resume and have Macroalgae Researcher in the title of the email.